Monday, November 24, 2014

Michael J. Tresca gave 4 stars to: Deadrising 3 Sledgesaw Hammer Pen Miniature Replica October 2014 Lootcrate Exclusive

Michael J. Tresca reviewed:


Deadrising 3 Sledgesaw Hammer Pen Miniature Replica October 2014 Lootcrate Exclusive by Capcom


4.0 out of 5 stars a nice conversation piece at your desk, November 24, 2014


Loot Crate is a monthly service in which you receive geek-friendly merchandise at a discount, grouped around a particular theme. This month’s theme was Fear, which is an opportunity to throw in everything about monsters and zombies the Loot Crate team could think of. I divvy up the Crate amongst my seven-year-old boy and four-year-old girl. This pen is the highlight of the set, a cobbled-together weapon that's also a pen from the video game Dead Rising. This quote from my review of the first game summarizes my love/hate relationship with Dead Rising:



"DAY 44: I did it! I beat the main bad guy by spinning around like a top, backslapping the bad guy with what has to be the stupidest move in gaming combat history. But I beat Dead Rising! Take that, only-one-save slot! Take that, crashing-all-the-time processor! Take that, stupid forced story-timeline! I did it! I did it! Did I mention I love this game?"



Dead Rising is known for taking Ash's insane gadgetry from the "Evil Dead" series (and "Army of Darkness" specifically) and applying it to the zombie game genre. And what more could you ask for than a buzzsaw connected to a sledgehammer? Practical, amIrite?



Anyway, the buzzsaw doesn't spin. It's the first thing I tried to do when I opened the box. My son did the same thing, so it seems like the natural response to seeing a buzzsaw is testing if it moves with your finger. The pen disconnects so that the buzzsaw acts as the cover, and the sledgehammer is the pen. This is a little impractical -- the buzzsaw is easy to lose as it doesn't go on the other end of the sledgehammer. The pen is also very light. But on the plus side you can whack your coworkers in the forehead with this faux sledgehammer and not do any damage. Cons include the pen being useless against zombies.



I like it. Not sure how much I'll use it, but it makes for a nice conversation piece at your desk.



No comments:

Post a Comment