Sunday, October 16, 2016

Michael J. Tresca gave 4 stars to: Dragons Love Tacos

Michael J. Tresca reviewed:

Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin
4.0 out of 5 stars Mmmm, tacos..., October 16, 2016
This review is from: Dragons Love Tacos (Hardcover)
I received a review copy of this book, including an accompanying taco-eating red plush dragon, directly from the publisher. Someone knows my family pretty well, because we love dragons and we love tacos!

My daughter is a big fan of plush critters and I can determine how popular a plush is by whether or not she uses it as a her snuggle-buddy when she goes to sleep. The accompanying Taco Dragon (that's what we call him, I have no idea what his name is) has a taco permanently attached to his claw, some spiky black horns, and is basically not something you'd want to snuggle with unless you relish getting accidentally stabbed in the eye.

The book reminds me of Bad Kitty, in that it frequently addresses the reader to discuss why you shouldn't give dragons anythign spicy to eat. This is an existential dilemma when it comes to tacos, as you might imagine, since tacos can be spicy. The book exhorts the reader at considerably length to never, EVER give dragons anything spicy, even though they do love tacos. I've been there dragons, I've been there.

Of course -- SPOILER ALERT! -- someone doesn't read the fine print on the jar and something terrible happens. Given that this involves dragons and not kittens, you can probably guess what that is. Given that my son has a milk and egg allergy, this can easily be interpreted as an allegory for kids with allergies. Or it could just be about tacos. Mmm, tacos...

No comments:

Post a Comment